Post by csnewton2701 on Feb 9, 2018 22:30:23 GMT 1
Well decided to take the plunge with this one. I have built one before but as the basic MR.2 so I know the challenges that lie ahead with the fitting, never mind the hidden ones with the conversion. I also have other plans for this kit.
The kit comes neatly packaged with the fuselage sprues, canopy/windows and wing sprues in one pack and the rest of the kit in another. It offers you 6 different Nimrods with all decals being on 1 A4 sized piece of decal paper.
I have decided to go for XV249 as it was in the initial bath of Nimrods being built at Woodford. It has seen active service in the Falklands and Afghanistan most notably but also flew sorties during the Cod War and other detachments and exercises.
Post by csnewton2701 on Feb 22, 2018 20:24:04 GMT 1
Well progress has been steadily moving along at a nice pace. Spent a large amount of time designing and building a circuit. I was hoping for the nose light, wing lights, headlights and strobe lights. Unfortunately due to the amount of wiring, brightness of the LEDs and the size of the model I have only been able to have the strobe lights and headlights.
The fuselage went together without too much fuss. The only awkward part was keeping the strobe lights in place and staying in place, the wiring was pushing them out of place and the battery pack is fairly heavy so that was pulling on the wires.
The wings however are a different story. They haven't sat by the fuselage properly leaving a gap and the weight of them is pushing them down rather than straight.
Post by csnewton2701 on Feb 23, 2018 22:41:15 GMT 1
Its starting to look like a Nimrod now. Slight change of plan though, the version XV249 has gone out the window due to incorrect decals. Those provided are for the MR.1. The new serials will be XW664 but still an R.1.
Had to use a make shift jack to push the rear wings up into position.
Post by csnewton2701 on Feb 27, 2018 18:52:30 GMT 1
Finally got the main build virtually complete (rear undercarriage still to go on but that will be last and the windscreen to go on. I'm still waiting on it turning up as I ordered it off Alleycat). Its been interesting, not as bad as I first imagined. However, plenty of filling done with some still left on the final overall check before painting, plenty of time spent sifting through photographs for the conversion.
Cut 2 rods off the sprue and glued across to keep the battery pack in place.
The kit itself took a fair amount of patience and filler. The fitting wasn't too bad other than for the angle of the rear wings, it causes huge gaps. However, the decals are shocking, some have started to lift already and some never even stuck. I can only guess this is due to the decal paper techniques at the time.
A brief history of XW664:-
First to be converted to an R.1.
Worked from Chile during the Falklands war performing Maritime Tasks.
Arrived back at RAF Wyton on 22 May 1982 4 days after the last Nimrod Sortie flown.